Torsion springs are a type of mechanism used in garage doors. It helps to lift and lower the door. Torsion Spring works by twisting. It is under constant tension created by the bottom hinge and the springs. It advised to take professional help while installing or replacing a garage door torsion spring. It may cause serious damage if you don’t know the correct mechanism.
Some important points about Torsion Springs:
· To get correct dimensions you should measure the Torsion Springs in relaxed condition. (video below)
· You need to measure the length, size and the inside diameter of the wire to get exact size as of the previous springs
· The length need not have to be specific
· The inside diameter and the wire size are vital. It should me measure accurately.
· The number of turns depends on the size of cable drum and the height of the door.
· The direction of the wind should be opposite to the side of the spring, i.e. right wound spring is to be fixed to the left side of the door.
Steps to replace garage door Torsion Springs:
· First unplug and disconnect the garage door opener from the garage door
· You need to lock the door and put a clamp
· Next unwind the existing Torsion spring
· Take a winding bar then insert it into the winding cone. It must be inserted to the full depth of the winding cone. Then loosen the sets of screws with it
· Remove the winding bars carefully and unwind the spring till all the tension is released
· Put the ladder to both sides time of the cable drum once at a time and loosen the screws
· After removing the cable drum from each sides slide it out from the respective head plates.
· Now put the ladder in the centre of the garage door and loose the springs from the plate.
· Next move the ladder to the door with broken spring and remove the shaft out of the head plate.
· Then must remove the cable drum. Now put back the shaft into the head plate to give support
· Next slip in the new Torsion springs and place back the cable drum onto the shaft.
· Glide in the shaft back into the head plate. But don’t tighten the screws.
· Put the cable drums over the bearing plates and keep turning anti clockwise until it’s tight.
· Then fix the whole setup just as it was opened.
· Now check whether the door is opening properly or not. Then reconnect and plug the garage door opener and test the system.
· Safety glasses
· Winding bar
· Locking pliers
· Sockets and ratchet
· The instructions should be followed carefully
· You must be aware of the physical mechanisms and must have experience
· Taking proper safety measures are mandatory
· You need reasonable physical strength to carry out the whole process.
Replacing garage door Torsion springs involves a lot of complicated steps. It isn’t an easy DIY work. So it is always suggested to hire a pro garage door repair company for this laborious work.